Detox water also known as infused water is all the rage right now on social media and other health platforms. The hot trend promises users amazing results such as smoother skin, flat belly, and fast weight loss. Though there is not much research done concerning detox water, many people all over the world swear by it.
What is Detox Water?
Detox water is fruit or vegetable infused water that you can buy in health stores or make your own at home. The simplest and well-known form of detox water is lemon infused water that people drink first thing in the morning before breakfast. The idea is to add fruits, herbs or vegetables in fresh water for flavor and nutrients.
The million dollar question however is, does detox water help you lose weight? Here is a look at how it might help;
- Filling effect. Essentially, detox water is still water with flavor. If you drink two glasses of water before eating, you are very likely to eat a smaller meal because you will be too full. Anyone who wants to lose weight can use detox water as a means to avoid eating too much by drinking a glass of water every hour or so. The fact that infused water has flavor and some sugar also helps to curb some sugar cravings and desire to snack all the time.
- Faster metabolism and digestion. Water plays a very big role in aiding digestion and transporting nutrients. People who don’t drink enough water have issues with constipation, slow digestion, poor nutrient absorption, and low metabolism. Besides helping you to drink more water, citrus fruits and other herbs supply vitamin C that aids with nutrient absorption and metabolism.
- Appetite suppression. Some of the fruits and vegetables added to flavored water have antioxidants and nutrients that will help suppress hunger. For example, mint is very effective as being an appetite suppressant and it will keep you from taking calories.
- Getting rid of toxins. Besides the fact that drinking a lot of water will help to flush out toxins through urine and sweat, citrus fruit peels have an enzyme called D-limonene that helps the liver to flush out more toxins. Research shows that you need at least 8 glasses of water to help get rid of toxins especially if you work out and sweat.
- Low calorie. When someone is thirsty, they tend to run out and get a soda or artificial juice to drink. These drinks are packed with artificial sugars, calories, and other bad chemicals. The alternative to this unhealthy stuff is detox water that contains no bad stuff and no calories so it won’t make you gain weight.
What is in Detox Water?
There is no limit to what you can put in your infused water as long as its natural fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Some of the best things to add to your water include apples, lemon, cucumber, ginger, basil, strawberries, mint, and grapefruit. If you don’t want to make some at home, you can buy at any health store.
The truth is that detox water does help with weight loss. However, the way it helps is by enabling you to drink more water because it tastes and smells good. Vitamin c and other nutrients also make losing weight easier among other health benefits.